Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Random Notes, Vol. 1

Item #1:

First off, of course there was no other possible outcome, nonetheless, I'm certainly pleased that shitbag media-whore airhead Sarah Palin's show is as bad as predicted.

Here's a link to an appropriate review of her show's first episode, revealing the lame self-aggrandization and tired cliches she posits about herself.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/sarah-palins-alaska-mama-grizzly,47651/

Item#2:

I had the opportunity this past Friday night to see my stepbrothers band, Me And My Arrow, perform at the Ritz Theater in northeast Minneapolis.  On this occasion, they took the stage as a 10-piece: 3 guitars, bass, drums, miscellaneous percussion, 2 keyboards, trumpet and cello.

It was a good show.  In particular, for having all those players, they were very tight as a unit, betraying how often they have played lately.  Their jagged rhythms gave way to some nice, convincing rocking, not unlike the quality of bands I have seen lately at First Avenue.

I'd recommend you check them out.  They may not be quite "my thing" yet...but they're getting closer.  Below is the link to their MySpace.

http://www.myspace.com/meandmyringostarr

Item #3:

Going to Memphis.  My best friend, myself and a few of his family are taking off to Memphis on a pilgrimage to Elvis.  Graceland and Sun Studios top the tour agenda, along with the Civil Rights Museum and Mark Twain's Boyhood Home And Museum in Hannibal, Missouri.

Hannibal, Twain, Americana...I've always found Twain's riverbased Missouri Americana to be especially potent, maybe even "romantic."  One of these years I'm gonna make good on my threat to actually finish reading both Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

No comments:

Post a Comment