Monday, May 16, 2011

now you're...in the know

A friend of mine asked me what music blogs I liked.  You know, a list-y kind of thing.  I didn't really feel in the compiling mood, so I agreed to give it some thought and put some of those select thoughts on page [as it were].  The timing of the question is great because it coincides with the re-opening of one of my faves.

For those who follow this sort of thing, one of the best music blogs on the whole innerweb has been re-christened as Willard's Wormholes.

This truly is one of the best music blogs out there.  Tons of great music, often material that is somewhat off the beaten track.  Willard's Wormholes would be worth the price of admission alone for it's quality work at capsulizing its contents.

And Your Bird Can Swing is another must visit. Site host Blank Frank offers a great mix of music, often featuring under-appreciated or out-of-print work.  It also features a regular community that is very passionate about the subject matter.

For a hardcore Beatles fix, I keep my eye on 12 Bar Original.  All Beatles, all the time. To the newly initiated, a site like this can have an overwhelming amount of subject matter. How many hours in a row do you wanna listen to the Beatles?

Founding Byrd Roger McGuinn has a pretty cool site: Roger McGuinn's Folk Den.  Every month since 1995, Roger releases a free MP3 of some folk song, most of which are obscure to me.  It's a nice way to connect with fans.  This site is especially on my mind as I am seeing Mr. McGuinn in concert tomorrow night.  The small venue should favor intimacy and I'll be happy if I can just hear him sing "You Ain't Going Nowhere."

There are really about eighteen other sites that I frequent regularly, but far and away, the above sites are my favorites.  Plus I only have about two dozen lines of mojo tonight.

Check them out, they're worth the investment in time.

RF Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment