Sunday, May 29, 2011

You're all on notice!





July 31st.

Clear Lake, Iowa.

Surf Ballroom.

History meets history.

Please excuse the hyperbole as I'm excited.  The Surf Ballroom, of course, is the final venue played by Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper on February 2, 1959.  I guess they retired or something immediately after playing there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_Ballroom

Anyway, on July 31st, I will push, shove and cajole my way to stagefront to watch Brian Wilson play.  It will be my third time seeing him, and the first two times are among the three best concerts I've seen [Monsters Of Folk being the other].  Plus, I'm just a huge BW bobo.  I pretty much like anything he touches, even the dreary and depressing Cocaine Sessions.  Sometimes also called the Hamburger Sessions.

He's out supporting his semi-recent Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin LP.  It's not even close to my fave Wilson disc.  In fact, I'm a little concerned with how such a low-key affair will translate live.

Doesn't matter though.  I would sit through a Brian Wilson adaptation of the phone book.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random notes:

Congrats to Captain Willard, of Willards Wormholes for re-opening his great blog, now on his own domain.  Check him out, it's a great site.

Also looking forward to site host Blank Frank of And Your Bird Can Swing re-opening his site as a forum.  Again, check him out.

A number of blogs I frequent have lately had issues with the DMCA.  That's a large part of why the two blogs listed above have, or are changing, the way they do business. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmca

Kudos to Dave Wohlman, of Radio Free Wohlman, for having the time and tenacity to conduct an in-depth investigation into the causes of recent DMCA actions taken against his blog.  His findings his been revelatory for numerous reasons, mostly because it seems any twink with a hair up his ass can file a DMCA notice that will be acted upon without prior investigation.  Guilty until proven innocent.

Talk about being conflicted.  I generally don't like Lady Gaga's music.  Or most of her "antics."  However, I do like her outspoken stance on human rights for the GLBT community.  RF Cat is definitely in favor of civility and tolerance among humans.

As a sports fan in Minnesota, the past year has been dire.
     Minnesota Twins:  need to fire GM Bill Smith.  Probably coach Ron Gardenhire and his field staff too.
   
     Minnesota Timberwolves:  probably need to fire GM David Kahn.  About to fire coach Kurt Rambis.
   
     Minnesota Wild:  still recovering from the regime change two seasons ago
   
     Minnesota Vikings:  apparently cursed forever
 
     No wonder I dig music so much: permanent winning streak!

Peace to all, drive safely, and please remain seated until the ride comes to a complete stop.

Reg

No comments:

Post a Comment