Saturday, December 5, 2009

"Let's Get It On"

That seems an appropriate title for my first post, as this blog is dedicated to discussing and recommending great music. At this point, I will try to recommend a new album each week and dedicate the rest of the week to explaining why I chose it.

I will never post music for download on here because I don't wanna owe some prick from the RIAA enough scratch to buy a stealth bomber. I may be a cat, but even I know those judgement values are absurd.

I will also talk about other media and random self-important thoughts I have: hey, it's the blog era, we all think we're Charles friggin' Dickens with something important or unique to contribute to the blogosphere, if not pop culture.

I guess the goal, though it may evolve, is intelligent discourse revolving around the love of music. If I am able to turn you on to even one song, album or artist, I will get the worst president of all time to hang a big Mission Accomplished banner somewhere prominent. I welcome feedback and comments.

So what kind of music will I advocate?

I hate genre labels, e.g., classic rock, rock, pop, power pop, folk, country, et cetera, because they are way too subjective and frankly irrelevant. You like the music, not the label ascribed to it. On my iTunes I have about 131,000 songs...it's not a lot, but it does cover a few bases. I'd say that anything from 1900 onward is fair game, though you might be waiting a LONG time for a thoughtful post on something considered "hip-hop."

If you have this music already, please listen to it again.  If you don't have it, please seek it. That's what I'd like to ask from anyone who reads this: take an hour a week to listen to a great album.  I promise to mix it up and not do week after week of the Beatles.  But I could.

Buckle up, here we go...






















Let's Get It On
Marvin Gaye
1973


Two years after releasing an amazing album examining the politics of the world around him, Marvin Gaye released this amazing album examining the politics of his pants. Soulful, full of passion and funky, this album was considered racy upon its release, but is generally tame by the standards of today.

The opening title track makes his intent clear: Marvin wants to make love to you. At least that's how he states it, but really, on a deeper level, this is about a man wanting to find a connection. This is about wanting a partner to trust, confide in and share the sexual energy inherent in the lives of young adults.  There is also an underlying tragedy to this music in that Marvin was still wrestling with many of these themes when he was killed eleven years later by his father.

Gaye was frank about his subject matter and for better or worse, he inspired many who followed him to go down this road.

As always, Marvin's voice is amazing, multi-tracking it all over the place and always sounding immediate, silky and earnest. This was his twelfth studio album and it shows: he was a master of his craft by now and his co-production with Ed Townsend is as polished as it is sophisticated, weaving layers of vocals around tasteful, skilled instrumental work.

You want to know what longing sounds like?  Listen to "Distant Lover."

This is a great album from start to finish, setting and sustaining a mood of funky passion. As good as it is, it's still not close to his best: but that's another discussion in another week.

I need to go. S cleaned the litter box and I'd like to use it before Rudy.

Best regards from my world,

Reggie

P.S.  learn more about Marvin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_gaye








No comments:

Post a Comment