Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Times They Are A-Changin'



For the first time in more than 40 years, a record high number of Americans approve of legalizing marijuana.

A Gallup poll released this week showed that 50 percent of us think marijuana should be made legal, while 46 percent do not.

Regionally, the Midwest was second only to the West in highest approval numbers (54 percent). Not surprisingly, people 18 to 29 were most in favor (62 percent) and those 65 and older least in favor (31 percent). More men than women were in favor. Politically, people who identified themselves as moderates, independents or Democrats all came in at 57 percent, with Republicans at 35 percent.

[this portion ripped from the headlines...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not just that 50 percent of the populace want it legal, it's that it takes only 46 percent of the people to prevent it.  The "want-it's" outnumber the "don't want it's." I don't want a minority of people telling me anything, whether it's about smoking pot or buckling my seatbelt.

What kind of dumbass society allows half of the population to be prohibited from using something by a smaller group of people?  The "smaller" half, the half with the big stick up their arse, stand opposed because, you know, naturally if we allow pot, we'll all be strung out on heroin by Christmas.

Note to government in general: keep your effin' paws out of my life and what I do in the privacy of my home or car.  Controlling freak SOB's.

I'm not even gonna trot out all the old bullet points of the legalization argument, because what really pisses me off about the now controlling minority, is their total intransigence.  They grew up educated on Hoover Era [J. Edgar, not Herbert] propaganda and totally bought in to what they were told.  They took the distorted truths and outright lies and gave them the same credibility that they accorded the civics teacher who taught state capitols.

Man, the older I get, the more I associate with the Libertarian philosophy.

8 comments:

  1. Shit! We reached the shoutbox limit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I may start a Bizhat jobbie just for the ability to bs the way we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and I got cut off right in the middle of a boring anecdote I was telling about cussing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. People say that Jimmy Carter was a failure as a president. I liked the guy and voted for him. He's still the only one who didn't turn the office into a pyramid scheme since his retirement. But that bastard promised me he was going to legalize marijuana and he bailed. Just another lyin' politician.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People got pissed at Carter for telling us to turn down the heat and put on a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carter is a great man, but he wasn't a good President.

    Too bad that office can only have one or the other, and I'm not saying that all or even any of the others have been good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, our system isn't set up to allow a great president. At least not as business is conducted today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Reg

    The sure sign of a libertarian is believing your own opinion of what's common sense is superior to basic constitutional niceties like elections & majority rule n stuff.

    I agree with you on legalisation, but I'll bet a lot of the 50% in favour don't give enough of a shit to do anything concrete about it. Can't agree on seatbelts though :)

    OtagoPaul

    ReplyDelete