Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer: let the sundrench begin!

June 21 is still seventeen days away, but for me, summer officially started today.

I spent several hours working outside today doing lawn work/weeding [no, not a euphemism] and felt for the first time all year, tangible heat.  Not just bright, direct sunlight, but heat.  It was marvelous.

There are certain albums I like to hear when it turns summer.  I played two of them today while working, along with one other.

Though not on my "summer commencement" list, the recently remastered SHM version of Exile On Main St. sounded absolutely stunning.  I stopped and flopped into a chair to soak rays while "Tumbling Dice" played.  Ditto "Sweet Virginia" and "Sweet Black Angel."

The Stones were in such a groove here, the tail end of a great run of four studio albums from Beggars Banquet [1968] to Let It Bleed [1969] to Sticky Fingers [1971]  and ending with Exile in 1972 that were as solid and satisfying as the four-record run of any band you'd care to name.  Seriously.  At their height, they were that good.

Note to whoever released the remastered Exile: lost opportunity.  I'd sure like to have gotten a cleaner sounding version of the track-only "Sweet Black Angel" than the ones I have on several boots.
 
I love hearing Pet Sounds at the onset of summer.  Very "summer-y"  Mono, stereo or session work.  Love 'em all.  Today, mono stood proud, though I honestly prefer the stereo remix: it roars!  More about Brian Wilson later.

If you only own one cd of Billy Joel, grab this one: Songs In The Attic.  I'm planning a full-length review/dl opportunity in a week or so, but a few comments anyway.  Absolutely terrific live album highlighting performances of some of his better "older material," which I think gives you a better sense of the artist than say, Greatest Hits.  Joel himself refers to the album in his liner notes as "a reunion with lovers past."  I like that.

The songs are rich with melody and perfectly produced, highlighting Joel's piano and acoustic guitars, all resting comfortably on a nice, solid, fat, low end.  I really like this one.  As good as live gets.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Ok, this 20-year-old Spanish kid is supposed to be the savior of my wretched Minnesota Timberwolves.

Ricky Rubio.  Point guard.  Wunderkind.  What's that in Spanish: el Wunderkindo?

Personally, I'm excited to see him play.  Which leads me to this: did anyone reading this actually see him play?  Please tell me.  What did you think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Breaking Bad season premiere on the horizon.  [shrugs shoulders: sometime this month]  Great show that I'm afraid has just about run it's course.  But I will tune in to find out.  Victory: advertisers.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the next few week(s) or so, I'm planning to make available the following material for a brief time.

I am listing the content in advance.  If you have an issue with it...you know...a DMCA issue.  Please tell me in advance of my posting it and the post will not occur.  The listings are for educational purpose only. If you enjoy the artist, please support them.  Mail them a sandwich.  Or buy their officially released stuff.

I'm going to finish off Blank Frank's series of Brian Wilson Vigotone releases by making available Come Back, Brian.  It's dreadful, really a dog.  Even the best stuff here is better represented on the reissue of his 1988 self-titled solo debut.  But hey, 2TB for under $90, so pretty much everything is in play.

Before Brian released That Lucky Old Sun, a nice complete studio demo of it floated around the innerweb for a few weeks.  I don't see it around much anymore, so I'm going to post it.

I will also post an audio rip of the TLOS live DVD.

I will also post an audio rip of SMiLE live DVD.

The SMiLE live DVD also includes noted Brian Wilson jock-sniffer David Leaf's documentary about Brian and SMiLE.  The DVD is really a great package.  The documentary is great.  The performance kills.  I will be posting the fantastic isolated score from the documentary.  A very nice presentation I think BW nuts will enjoy.

If there is enough interest I have a few other BW items.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Gabriel's Passion, an album I will review eventually was just reviewed by Wardo on Everybody's Dummy.  Check it out, Wardo does nice work.  I wish I put his level of effort into my blog!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats again to Blank Frank and his super-duper new And Your Bird Can Swing forum.  It's invite only, but Frank's a good guy, seek him out.


All for now,

Reg

No comments:

Post a Comment